UPSC Conducts National Defence Academy (NDA) Exams Which Includes Interviews Covering General Aptitude, Psychological Testing, Team-Building Skills Along With Physical And Social Skills And Medical Tests. It’s Not That Easy At All.
So This Article Is All About The Paper Pattern And The Syllabus For National Defence Academy (NDA) 2016. Hope This Might Help You
National Defence Academy (NDA) Exam Paper Pattern
|2 ½ Hours
|General Ability Test(Paper -2)
||2 ½ Hours
|SSB (Services Selection Board) Interview. 900 Marks
- Both The National Defence Academy (NDA) 1 And National Defence Academy (NDA) 2 Exam Consist Of Two Papers. The first One Is Mathematics And The Second One Is General Ability Test.
- Mathematics: The Mathematics Paper Carries Out 300 Marks And Consists Of Mcqs Based On The Syllabus Of Class 10th, 11th, And 12th. The Duration Of This Exam Will Be 2.5 Hours. There Is Also A Negative Marking For The Wrong Responses Given By Candidates.
- General Ability: In This Part There Are Two Sections. The first Section Is Of English With 200 Marks And The Second Section Consists Of General Knowledge With 400 Marks.
- The Paper Will Be Of Multiple Choice Question With Four Options In Which Candidates Have To Choose The Correct One.
- There Will Be 120 Questions Of 300 Marks In Paper I And 150 Questions Of 600 Marks In Paper II.
- Marks For SSB Interview Is 900 Marks
National Defence Academy (NDA) Syllabus
Subject – Mathematics (Paper 1)
- Operations On Sets
- Venn Diagrams De Morgan Laws
- Cartesian Product Relation
- Equivalence Relation
- Representation Of Real Numbers On A Line
- Complex Numbers – Basic Properties
- Modulus Argument
- Cube Roots Of Unity
- Binary System Of Numbers
- Conversion of a Number in Decimal System to Binary System and Vice-Versa
- Geometric And Harmonic Progressions
- Quadratic Equations With Real Coefficients
- Solution Of Linear Inequations Of Two Variables By Graphs
- Permutation And Combination
- Binomial Theorem And Its Application
- Logarithms and Their Applications
- Concept Of A Set
|Matrices And Determinants
- Types Of Matrices
- Operations On Matrices Determinant Of A Matrix
- Basic Properties of Determinant.
- Adjoint And Inverse Of A Square Matrix
- Applications – Solution of a System of Linear Equations in Two or Three Unknowns by Cramer’s Rule and By Matrix Method.
|Analytics Geometry Of Two And Three Dimensions
- Rectangular Cartesian Coordinate System
- Distance Formula
- Equation Of A Line In Various Forms
- Angle Between Two Lines
- Distance Of A Point From A Line
- Equation Of A Circle In Standard And In General, Form
- Standard Forms Of Parabola
- Ellipse And Hyperbola
- Eccentricity And Axis Of A Conic
- Point in a Three-Dimensional Space, Distance between Two Points.
- Direction Cosines and Direction Ratios.
- The equation of a Plane and a Line in Various Forms.
- The angle between Two Lines and Angle between Two Planes.
- The equation of a Sphere.
- Angles And Their Measures In Degrees And In Radians
- Trigonometrical Ratios
- Trigonometric Identities Sum And Difference Formulae
- Multiple And Sub-Multiple Angles
- Inverse Trigonometric Functions
- Applications – Height And Distance
- Properties of Triangles.
- Concept Of A Real-Valued Function – Domain
- Range And Graph Of A Function
- Composite Functions
- Derivative Of Function At A Point
- Derivatives Of Sum
- Product And Quotient Of Functions
- Derivative Of A Function With Respect Of Another Function
- Derivative Of A Composite Function
- Second Order Derivatives
- Increasing And Decreasing Functions
- Application of Derivatives in Problems of Maxima and Minima.
- Integration As Inverse Differentiation
- Integration By Parts And Substitution
- Standard Integrals Involving Expression Of Algebraic,
- Evaluation of Definite Integrals – Determination of Areas of Plane Regions
- Bounded By Curves – Applications.
- Definition Of Order And Degree Of A Differential Equation
- Formation Of A Differential Equation
- General And Particular Solution Of A Differential Equation
- Solution Of First Order And First Degree Differential Equations Of Various Types
- Application In Problems Of Growth And Decay
- Classification Of Data
- Frequency Distribution
- Cumulative Frequency Distribution – Examples
- Graphical Representation – Histogram
- Pie Chart
- Frequency Polygon – Examples
- Measures Of Central Tendency – Mean Median And Mode
- Variance And Standard Deviation – Determination And Comparison
- Correlation And Regression
- Random Experiment
- Outcomes And Associated Sample Space
- Mutually Exclusive And Exhaustive Events
- Impossible And Certain Events
- Union And Intersection Of Events
- Elementary And Composite Events
- Conditional Probability
- Bayes’ Theorem – Simple Problems
- Random Variable As Function On A Sample Space
- Binomial Distribution
- Examples of Random Experiments Giving Rise to Binominal Distribution.
- Vectors In Two And Three Dimensions
- Magnitude And Direction Of A Vector
- Unit And Null Vectors Addition Of Vectors
- Scalar Multiplication Of Vector
Subject – General Ability (Paper 2)
This Paper Is Divided into Two Parts. Part A (English Paper) And Part B (General Knowledge Paper)
Part A –English Paper
- Grammar And Usage
- Comprehension And Cohesion In Extended Text
- Use Of Words
Part B-GENERAL KNOWLEDGE Paper
- Physical Properties And States Of Matter
- Specific Gravity
- Principle Of Archimedes
- Pressure Barometer.
- Motion Of Objects
- Velocity And Acceleration
- Newton’s Laws Of Motion
- Force And Momentum
- Parallelogram Of Forces
- Stability And Equilibrium Of Bodies
- Elementary Ideas Of Work
- Power and Energy.
- Effects Of Heat
- Measurement Of Temperature And Heat
- Change Of State And Latent Heat
- Modes of Transference of Heat.
- Sound Waves And Their Properties
- Simple Musical Instruments.
- Rectilinear Propagation Of Light
- Reflection and Refraction.
- Spherical Mirrors and Lenses.
- Human Eye.
- Natural And Artificial Magnets
- Properties Of A Magnet
- Earth as a Magnet.
- Static And Current Electricity
- Conductors And Non-Conductors
- Ohm’s Law Simple Electrical Circuits
- Lighting And Magnetic Effects Of Current
- Measurement Of Electrical Power
- Primary And Secondary Cells
- Use of X-Rays.
- General Principles In The Working Of -Simple Pendulum, Simple Pulleys, Siphon, Levers, Balloon, Pumps, Hydrometer, Pressure Cooker, Thermos Flask, Gramophone, Telegraphs, Telephone, Periscope, Telescope, Microscope, Mariner’s Compass; Lightening Conductors, Safety Fuses.
- Physical and Chemical Changes.
- Elements Mixtures And Compounds Symbols Formulae
- Simple Chemical Equations Law Of Chemical Combination (Excluding Problems).
- Properties Of Air And Water.
- Preparation And Properties Of Hydrogen, Oxygen, Nitrogen, Carbon Dioxide, Oxidation, And Reduction.
- Acids Bases And Salts.
- Carbon – Different Forms.
- Fertilizers – Natural And Artificial
- Material Used In The Preparation Of Substances Like Soap Glass Ink Paper Cement Paints Safety Matches And Gun-Powder.
- Elementary Ideas About The Structure Of Atom Atomic Equivalent And Molecular Weights Valency.
- Difference Between The Living And Non-Living
- Basis Of Life – Cells, Protoplasm’s And Tissues
- Growth And Reproduction In Plants And Animals
- Elementary Knowledge Of Human Body And Its Important Organs
- Common Epidemics, Their Causes AndPrevention
- Food – Source Of Energy For Man. Constituents Of Food, Balanced Diet
- The Solar System – Meteors And Comets, Eclipses.
- Achievements Of Eminent(Important) Scientists
||History Freedom Movement
- A Broad Survey Of Indian History, With Emphasis On Culture And Civilization
- Freedom Movement In India
- Elementary Study Of Indian Constitution And Administration
- Elementary Knowledge Of Five Year Plans Of India
- Panchayati Raj, Co-Operatives AndCommunity Development
- Bhoodan, Sarvodaya, National Integration And Welfare State, Basic Teachings Of Mahatma Gandhi
- Forces Shaping The Modern World; Renaissance, Exploration, And Discovery; War Of American Independence. French Revolution, Industrial Revolution and Russian
- Impact of Science and Technology on Society.
- Concept of One World, United Nations, Panchsheel, Democracy.
- Socialism and Communism.
- Role of India in the Present World.
- Earth Its Shape and Size.
- Latitudes and Longitudes Concept of Time.
- International Date Line.
- Movements of Earth and Their Effects.
- Origin of Earth.
- Rocks And Their Classification
- Mechanical and Chemical Earthquakes and Volcanoes.
- Ocean Currents And Tides
- Atmosphere And Its Composition;
- Temperature And Atmospheric Pressure Planetary Winds Cyclones And Anti-Cyclones;
- Condensation And Precipitation
- Types of Climate.
- Major Natural Regions of the World.
- Regional Geography Of India
- Climate Natural Vegetation.
- Mineral And Power Resources
- Location and Distribution of Agricultural and Industrial Activities.
- Important Sea Ports and Main Sea Land and Air Routes of India.
- Main Items of Imports and Exports of India.
- Knowledge Of Important Events That Have happened In India In The Recent Years
- Current Important World Events
- Famous Personalities – Both Indian And International Including Those Connected With Cultural Activities And Sports.
Intelligence and Personality Test
The SSB procedure consists of two stage Selection process – stage I and stage II. Only those candidates who clear the stage I are permitted to appear for stage II. The details are :
(a) Stage I comprises of Officer Intelligence Rating (OIR) tests are Picture Perception * Description Test (PP&DT). The candidates will be shortlisted based on combination of performance in OIR Test and PP&DT.
(b) Stage II Comprises of Interview, Group Testing Officer Tasks, Psychology Tests and the Conference. These tests are conducted over 4 days. The details of these tests are given on the website joinindianarmy.nic.in.
The personality of a candidate is assessed by three different assessors viz. The Interviewing Officer (IO), Group Testing Officer (GTO) and the Psychologist. There are no separate weightage for each test. The mks are allotted by assessors only after taking into consideration the performance of the candidate holistically in all the test. In addition, marks for Conference are also allotted based on the initial performance of the Candidate in the three techniques and decision of the Board. All these have equal weightage.
The various tests of IO, GTO and Psych are designed to bring out the presence/ absence of Officer Like Qualities and their trainability in a candidate. Accordingly candidates are Recommended or Not Recommended at the SSB.
NDA Preparation Tips
It All Depends On How You Manage Your Time And How You Prepare For Exam. Prepare Your Own Notes. Reading Newspapers Daily Will Help You to Know about the Current Affairs. Marking Or Highlighting Important Points Will Help You to Remember the Main Points. Solving Previous Years Question Papers Is Definitely Going To Help You A Lot. . Don’t Get Nervous Just Give Your Best …Put All Your Efforts and Study Hard
This Article Is Just To Help You, To Make You Know About Your Syllabus.
“Believe You Can and you’re Halfway There.”